Internship Program is open for College/University students from local and international universities from March to September every year. Internship period can be from 4 weeks and above. This program offers student the opportunity to work hands on with endangered sea turtles, as well as to participate in the conservation, research and outreach activities conducted by SEATRU, Universiti Malaysia Terengganu.
Green turtle (Chelonia mydas) camouflaging its nest before returning to the sea. (Photo credit: Mann)
- Introduction to sea turtles, species in Malaysia, status and species of sea turtles that nest at Chagar Hutang, Redang Island.
- Data collection
Week 2 onwards
- Assist SEATRU in conservation, research and outreach program.
- Day time activities:
- Monitor nests under incubation from predators
- Beach clean up
- Participate in nest check and nest analysis
- Nest and data recording
2. Night activities
- Patrolling the beach for nesting turtle
- Record turtle nesting activities
- Tagging and measuring of sea turtle
- Marking of sea turtle nests
– Visit to the village of Redang Island
– Visit to the Marine Park Information Centre
– Prepare materials for poster, data recording in computer and so on.
– Involve in any research and outreach program conducted by SEATRU during internship period
How to Apply for the Internship Program:
- Students must provide an official letter from their university stating that the internship/attachment is needed in order for them to graduate
- Applicants must be able to tolerate adverse field conditions
- Passionate on wildlife and marine conservation
- No allowances are given. However, accommodation, food and transportation to the island will be covered by SEATRU, Universiti Malaysia Terengganu.
- International students are required to pay RM300 and Malaysian Students (except intern student from UMT) are required to pay RM150 for registration.
Interested applicants must send a cover letter (from university) and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:
Sea Turtle Research Unit (SEATRU)
Institute of Oceanography and Environment (INOS)
Universiti Malaysia Terengganu
21030 Kuala Nerus